NEW COVID GUIDELINES FOR 2020 PUMPKIN PATCH
What a crazy year already! With the appearance of COVID-19, we’ve had to rethink a few of our shopping practices. To keep you and our staff safe, you must follow these guidelines while visiting Sunnyside this season:
- Everyone MUST WEAR A MASK (ages 2+) at all times – even outside and even during our quieter hours.
- Stay 6-10 feet away from other shoppers & Sunnyside staff.
- Please pay by credit card.
- All public restrooms are closed.
- No picnicking. No food or drink.
- Limited parking is available on a first come, first serve basis. We anticipate having to turn cars away on the weekends due to our limited capacity.
- Rides run 10am-4:30 pm daily. Please be patient as there will be limited seating on each ride, resulting in longer wait times
Hard to believe but we’ve been welcoming visitors to our pumpkin patch for almost 30 years!
Our pumpkin patch is a true family experience.
Pumpkin Patch & Activities
We fill our patch with the biggest and best pumpkins around so you find that perfect jack o’lantern. Come wander through and see what hay sculptures and scarecrows we’ve come up with this year.
Once you arrive at Sunnyside you’ll have to decide where you want to go first. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
• Take a hay ride through the spooky woods
• Have a ride on our little blue train
• Search for the perfect pumpkin in the patch
• Walk through the Hall of Flame-over 300 carved jack o’lanterns
• Dance along to our live bluegrass band
• Pose for a picture in one of our funny cut-outs
• Visit the monarch butterflies in our butterfly room
• Watch the model trains roll by
• Dig in to a delicious, homemade cider doughnut
Fall Mums & Flowers
Each summer thousands of chrysanthemum cuttings arrive at Sunnyside to be nurtured and grown into our famous “Monster Mums”. We’ve been growing mums for decades and we’re sure no one has bigger or better mums than us. Mums begin flowering in early September and continue flowering until hard frost (sometimes even to Thanksgiving!) We carry a hundred different mum varieties, each one prettier than the next. So stop by and pick one out for yourself… We dare you to try and leave with just one.
And don’t forget our other Fall flowers: Asters, Fall perennials (such as Sedums), and ornamental peppers!
Pumpkins & Squash
We are extremely proud to say that all our pumpkins, squash, corn, and hay come from New York farmers! We have thousands of pumpkins to choose from-come find the perfect one for your jack o’ lantern.
As well as regular carving pumpkins, we also carry a huge variety of squashes for both eating and decorating. You’ll find everything from popular acorn and butternut types to more unique varieties like striped Cushaw squash, huge Blue Hubbards, bright red-orange Rouge vif d’Etampes (aka Cinderella pumpkin), white Casper pumpkins, tasty Long Island Cheese pumpkins, elegant brown Fairytale pumpkins, and beautiful blue Jarrahdale pumpkins. These are only a few of the dozens of squash and pumpkin varieties we have.
Bakery & Apples
The moment you step out of your car, you’ll smell our homemade baked goods made fresh in our bakery each day. We don’t mean to brag (well…maybe just a little bit) but our cider donuts are legendary and people come from miles around just for them. They’re super light and fluffy and not at all greasy like donuts at some other places. But don’t take our word for it. Stop by and try one.
Here’s a sample of what we offer:
• Fresh cider donuts
• Freshly baked pies including our famous Caramel Apple pie
• Caramel and Candy Apples
• Cookies, brownies, and more!
We also carry locally-grown apples. Choose from Macintosh, Cortland, and Empire varieties.
SORRY but due to COVID regulations, we will not be having any live music this year. We’ll miss you Adrenaline Pumpkin!
To us here at Sunnyside, Fall is synonymous with Bluegrass music! For the past 10 years, we’ve welcomed Adrenaline Pumpkin into our greenhouse to delight both customers and employees with their toe-tapping bluegrass tunes. You can see them most Saturdays & Sundays beginning October 4.
Want to see Adrenaline Pumpkin in action? Check out our video!
Fall Field Trips
Sunnyside has been hosting school trips to our pumpkin patch for over twenty years! Schools have come from all over Upstate NY, Saratoga, Albany, and the Capital Region just to spend the day with us. Teachers love coming to Sunnyside because we combine safe, outdoor fun with education. Our butterfly house is a great educational experience as it coincides with students’ butterfly science unit. Students are able to see in action what they’ve read about in books.
• Fall Field Trips are available Monday-Friday to all elementary schools, registered day cares, and registered nursery schools.
• Minimum: 10 children
• Cost: (including all students, chaperones, teacher\’s aides, parents, and siblings)
• Price includes a hayride, train ride, a small pie pumpkin, Halloween displays, and butterfly house.
• Please make sure you have adequate supervision and chaperones for your children.
When do you open for the season?
Our fall festival usually begins the last weekend of September. Hay rides, train rides, and the butterfly house will be open and we will start making cider donuts! Please check back in August for specific dates.
What are your hours?
Throught September and October, we are open 8:30am-5:30pm Monday-Saturday and 8:30am-5pm on Sunday. Hay rides and train rides run from 10am to 4:45pm each day.
Is there an admission charge?
Can we bring a picnic?
Are dogs allowed?
Do you offer group rates?
Fall field trips and group rates are available for schools and registered day cares. You can find more information coming soon.
If you have a Mom’s Club or play group, please give us a call as we may be able to offer you something.
We cannot offer any group rates for the weekends.
Do you host birthday parties?
Are bathrooms available?
Port-a-potties and portable sinks are available on our main lawn. There is also have a changing area available near the port-a-potties for parents that need to change diapers.